Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Ticket to Ride

As most of you will be aware, Jo and I recently moved out of the city to leafy New Haw (near Woking). There have been load of benefits for us living out here, getting to know the locals - enjoying the fresh air (next to the M25) and the quieter nights (next door to an Indian restaurant).

One drawback that we had to wrestle with when deciding to move was that my daily commute to work will significantly increase. When we lived in Mitcham my round trip from home to work and back was all of 2 miles whereas now is more like 35 miles!

So after a few months of settling into our new home and getting used to the commute I can now say that the commute isn't a drawback at all!

now that it takes 40 or so minutes to get into work I have the time to wake up properly and prepare myself for the working day - whereas before I would rush into work, still wet from the shower not having a clue what I was doing or what I had to look forward to during the day. I now can listen to some music think through the stuff I have to do and generally get my head straight!

the time I spend in the car each day also gives me space to think and allow my mind to wonder and ponder all the stuff that I'm involved in. I've also got back into spending time with God - praying and worshipping in the traffic, this may sound a weird thing to do but its really not I don't close my eyes or anything!

The car also runs better now too - before it was only being used for a mile journey often in the cold and in traffic, many times the car wouldn't start because the battery wasn't getting charged. Now its running quite well (considering it is a bit of a rust bucket) it always starts first time.

so all in all I am quite enjoying the extra commute. Although its made my day longer and is costing an arm and a leg, the commute is doing me good!

cue the 100 best driving tracks - open up the windows, crank the tunes and feel the wind rushing through your hair!

2 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe not for Worship in the car but def. tunes for the car:

Kalifornia - Fatboy Slim
Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
Buck Rogers - Feeder
White Light - Gorillaz

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Simon said...

when i get my ipod i'm gonna have a driving playlist!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home